Friday, January 25, 2013

A Great Year for Bookworms



So, I know this is about 26 days late, BUT here is the list of book-related things that I am stoked about coming in 2013.

-Prodigy by: Marie Lu----January 29th
I've had this book pre-ordered since the beginning of January and it officially comes out in 3 days. I have already heard so many fantastic things about this book from all of the ARC readers. I absolutely loved the first book Legend and I cannot wait to read more about Day and June.
Update: 5 stars. Reviewed.

-Requiem by: Lauren Oliver----March 5th
I am so very excited about the release of this book. I loved Delirium. I loved Pandemonium even more than Delirium (not a regular occurence in the history of second books in trilogies). So I'm sure the Requiem will find a way to top both of them and bring the story to an exciting and satisfying end. Also, there is the whole Alex or Julian thing to deal with (and for the record, it should definitely be Julian) and I kind of really need to figure out how that all plays out. Because yet again... THE CLIFFHANGER. (Sometimes I think that authors are these creatures that feed off of the fear and anxiety that cliffhangers produce in their readers...but then I realize I'm just being paranoid... or am I?). Also this release includes the release of Delirium Stories, a collection of all three short stories from other character's perspectives that she released in between each book.
Update: 5 stars. Reviewed.

-The Host Movie----March 29th
Although, I'm not sure I like the way they are going with the trailer (focusing WAY too much on the romance aspect of it...) I'm still looking forward to it. I'm also worried that people are going to assume that it's exactly like Twilight, because it's written by Stephanie Meyer. I thought it was much deeper and that it asked a lot of meaningful questions about life, humanity, and what it means to love (not just romantic love, but familial love, and friendship). Judging by how horrible the Twilight movies were (even if they were based off of equally horrible books) I don't know if they'll do it justice. I'm holding out hope, but only barely. I might start reviewing movies that have been adapted from books, beginning when this movie comes out. We'll see.
Update: 3.5/5 stars. Reviewed.

-Divergent Filming----April
Yes. The movie is actually happening. They even have a Tris already. Shailene Woodley is cast to play Beatrice Prior. I don't know much about her, but I'm hoping she can pull it off. (She is admittedly not how I pictured Tris at all, but the acting is much more important. If she can do that well then I have no objection.) This, of course, means that we will be hearing about all the other casting decisions very soon. And I just need to know who they cast as some of my favorites... (*cough*FOUR*cough*).
Update: Veronica Roth said on her blog that filming has officially started in Chicago! And we have most of the casting including Four (Theo James), Tris (Shailene Woodley), etc.
Updated Update: They wrapped up filming as of the 16th.

-The Elite by: Kiera Cass----April 23th
I loved The Selection. It was a light fun read with the promise of a deeper story as the series progresses. I love Prince Maxim and while I'm not quite sure about America yet, I think she has potential (as soon as she ditches Aspen). I really want to know more about the rebels and the story of how the country got the way it did.
Update: 3.5/5 stars. Reviewed.

-The Son of Sobek---May 7th
I am patiently waiting to buy my own copy of The Serpent's Shadow until it comes out in paperback JUST so I can read Rick Riordan's short story cross-over between The Kane Chronicles and the Percy Jackson crew. I am beyond excited for this!
Update: 5/5 stars. Reviewed.

-Siege and Storm by: Leigh Bardugo----June 4th
This might be one of my most anticipated books of this year. Shadow and Bone is one of the best fantasy books that I have ever read. The world was so well developed, as were the characters. And judging by the cover that just got released for this book, this book is going to be even better than Shadow and Bone. The saddest thing is that this book happens to come out right before my competition season, so I most likely will not get to read it until mid-July.
Update: 5/5 stars. Reviewed.
 
-Crown of Midnight by: Sarah J. Maas---August 27th
REALLY excited for this one! I loved Throne of Glass and thought that it was a great beginning to what I'm sure will be a fantastic and interesting addition to the Young Adult Fantasy genre. I'm just really pumped for more Chaol...I kind of love him.
Update: 5/5 stars. Reviewed.
 

-Deception by: C.J. Redwine---August 27th
I just realized that this comes out on the same day as Crown of Midnight. WHAT AM I GOING TO DO?!? anyway, I'm really excited for this book ( I'm pretty sure I've said that about every book on this list, but it's still true). Defiance was a great read and I am looking forward to more time inside Logan and Rachel's minds.
Deception (Defiance, #2)
 
-The Bitter Kingdom by: Rae Carson---August 27th
I absolutely loved The Girl of Fire and Thorns and The Crown of Embers!  The world-building was great, Elisa is one of the best female leads I've read and I can't WAIT to see where this story goes. Also the cover is gorgeous!
Update: 5/5 stars. Reviewed.


-The Transfer by: Veronica Roth---September 3rd
This is the first of four short stories about Four from the Divergent series. They are being all being released between September 3rd and February 11th. Then on February 11th they are going to be sold all together in printed book form. This is especially important because Veronica announced at Comic Con that the third book, Allegiant, is going to be told from both Tris' and Four's POV (point of view). The other three are The Initiate, The Son, and The Traitor.
Update: 4/5 stars.

 
-The Lord of Opium by: Nancy Farmer---September 3rd
I just finished reading The House of the Scorpion (the first book of this series) and loved it! I'm excited to see Matt, Fidelito, and Chacho again and find out what Matt does with the land of Opium. I'm glad I didn't hear about (or read) this book in 2006 when it came out, because that's a good long wait!
The Lord of Opium


 
-Isla and the Happily Ever After by: Stephanie Perkins----September 17th
I loved Anna and the French Kiss. If you haven't read the book, I know what you're probably thinking, "that book sounds like horribly written chick-lit. But, you have to trust me on this, that book is amazing, fantastic, and completely wonderful. I've even reviewed on this blog, so go read my review of it if there is any doubt in your mind. I have also read Lola and the Boy Next Door (also reviewed) and didn't love it as much, but it was still beautifully written. So that leads me to believe that the final companion book to the series will be just as wonderful. It doesn't have a cover yet and there is no decided release date, but it is supposed to be sometime in 2013 (probably later in the year) and I am excited.
Update: This isn't actually going to be released until 2014. Stephanie Perkins struggles with depression and has been coming out of a tough year, so she needs another year to really perfect the book. I am so excited for this book and if another year gives her time to truly enjoy the writing process then I'm all for it.

 
-House of Hades by: Rick Riordan----October 8th
Again, I know that I'm pretty far behind on this series (or, I guess, technically the series before this series...), but if the two I've read are any indication, I just know that I'll love it. Update: I have now read all of the Percy Jackson and the Olympians series AND the Heroes of Olympus series books that are out and I am DYING for House of Hades. That cliff-hanger was a absolute killer. I tear up just thinking about it!
Update: 5/5 stars. Read and Reviewed.

-The Girl Who Soared Over Fairyland and Cut the Moon in Two by: Catherynne M. Valente---October 8th
I absolutely love these books. The first two are full of whimsy and adventure mixed in with a whole lot of gorgeous writing. Confession time: I will definitely be reading House of Hades before this as they come out on the same day and the cliffhanger for Mark of Athena kills. BUT, as soon as I finish House of Hades I WILL be devouring this book.

Update: 5/5 stars.
Reviewed.

The Girl Who Soared Over Fairyland and Cut the Moon in Two (Fairyland, #3)

-Unsouled by: Neal Shusterman----October 15th
I am absolutely and completely excited about this one. Unwind and Unwholly were all fantastic and bone-chilling books and I cannot wait to see where Neal takes the third one. I know for a fact that there is surely going to be more action, more awesome fight scenes, and more Lev, Connor, and Risa. Most likely he'll throw in some strange surprises and even more excellent world-building, simply because that's just what he does.
Update: 5/5 stars. Reviewed.
UnSouled (Unwind, #3)

-Allegiant ("Detergent")----October 22nd
I have waited so long for this book's arrival and there is still so much waiting to be done. It's been about a year since I read Divergent and half a year since I read Insurgent. AND THE CLIFFHANGER. I have full trust in Veronica Roth as an author and I know that this book will be a fantastic end to the trilogy. AND WE HAVE A COVER.
Update: They announced that it is going to be both from Tris' and Four's perspectives!  WHATWHAT? THIS IS SO EXCITING.
Update: CRYING. 5/5 stars. Reviewed.

Allegiant (Divergent, #3)

-Altered by: Gennifer Albin---October 29th
I don't think anyone was sure that there was going to be another book in this series, but boy, am I glad that there is going to be. Especially after that cliff-hanger. I just need to know what the strange alien-light-things were. I NEED to. Annnnd this is another book on this list coming out in October. that makes four. So that's going to be fun.
Update: I was so excited to see this cover (stupidly thinking that the publisher would be smart enough to keep the gorgeous cover style they used for Crewel, but as we know they often change the covers we love best). This one is just horrible and so trope-y(that's officially a word now). But I'm still really excited to read this book.
Altered (Crewel World, #2)

-Champion by: Marie Lu---November 5th
Can I just say that Marie Lu is a beast? She writes books SO quickly (and by writes I mean writes, edits, and publishes)! Prodigy just came out this January and now just a ten short months later Champion is coming out. That's incredible! That aside, I am so pumped for this book and a little bit more than scared. That ending was...well, it was rough. But, I can see this series going even more places in the next book.
Update: CRYING. 5/5 stars. Reviewed.

Champion (Legend, #3)

-Cold Spell by: Jackson Pearce---November 5th
This is the fourth companion novel in Jackson Pearce's Fairytale Retelling series. I've read Sisters Red and really enjoyed it and I've read Sweetly and LOVED it. I'm about to read Fathomless and I'm really excited about it. So, this book is very anticipated. Also, after reading Winter's Child earlier this year I am now a fan of The Snow Queen fairy tale (which is what this is a retelling of) so that's even more exciting!
Update: 5/5 stars. Reviewed.

Cold Spell (Fairytale Retellings, #4)
 
-Catching Fire Movie----November 20th
Last March me and my geeky friends had way too much fun showing up at our local midnight showing in full costume (I was Effie, and went around telling people that it was going to be a "Big, big, big day!" in my best capitol accent. It was a blast.). We are hopefully doing the same thing for Catching Fire and I know that it'll be just as amazing (how could it not be with Sam Claflin and Jennifer Lawrence and Josh Hutcherson).
Update: ONE BILLION STARS. Reviewed.
 
 
Rebel Spring--- December 3rd 2013
I am just really looking forward to continuing this awesome YA fantasy series. The cover looks epic, just like I hope the book will be. I don't actually know if it comes out in December because Goodreads doesn't have the date yet, but I've heard that that's probably when it is coming out, so I put it down anyway. Update: I found the date of release on Amazon and it is, in fact, in December. I am definitely excited for this!
Rebel Spring (Falling Kingdoms #2)
 
The Initiate---December 17th 2013
The second of four novellas about Four from Divergent.

and I'm sure that their are more books being released as stand-alone books or starting new excellent series that I haven't even heard of yet. All in all 2013 is looking like a great year for bookworms.

**the things in bold are the ones that I've already read or watched or experienced**

No comments:

Post a Comment