Monday, February 4, 2013

Prodigy.

Prodigy
by: Marie Lu
Prodigy (Legend, #2)

June and Day arrive in Vegas just as the unthinkable happens: the Elector Primo dies, and his son Anden takes his place. With the Republic edging closer to chaos, the two join a group of Patriot rebels eager to help Day rescue his brother and offer passage to the Colonies. They have only one request—June and Day must assassinate the new Elector. It’s their chance to change the nation, to give voice to a people silenced for too long.

This was just as good, if not better than Legend. The politics got more complicated and there were more looks as to how the government was run, not just the military.

Smart and Brave Heroine: CHECK
I liked June in Legend. She was a smart and just really awesome in the action scenes, but I wouldn't say she particularly interested me. However, I absolutely loved her in Prodigy. She made the difficult decisions and found a way to save the people she cared about. She uncovered Razor's secret on her own and fought her way out around six guards while dizzy and sick. In this book she was a more complex character. She wasn't sure where her loyalties laid and she had a lot inner conflict about who to trust. There was also the matter of protecting Day and Eden when she did decide who she trusted. Then standing up to Day when he doubted her judgements. I appreciated how she stayed firm in believing that she did the right thing, but she wasn't too proud to apologize to Day for certain comments she made. I also really loved the little details that Marie Lu put in to continue to show June's skill (like the way she was always keeping track of how many minutes passed).

Intelligent and Brave Hero: CHECK
I like Day, I really do, but sometimes he's just so frustrating. I know a lot of his conflicts have to do with not being as willing or able to trust others because of his years at the lake. However, I was so angry at him for yelling at June. After all she'd done for him he still didn't fully trust her. I also understand his motivation for yelling, but that doesn't make it right. The thing about this book is that you can disagree with a character and still like them. I can say that overall I truly enjoy reading about Day. He's reckless and careless, but that's part of what makes him such an interesting character.

Extraordinary Supporting Characters: CHECK
Tess: I didn't mind her in Legend, but she got really frustrating in this book. I can't shake the feeling that she is keeping something really important from Day. However, the thing that bothered me the most about her behavior was her hatred of June, even though June thought of her as a friend. June was actually worried about Tess through this book, even when she was jealous of her and Day's history. June knew what Tess meant to Day and tried to protect her because of it. But, Tess knew how much June meant to Day and yet could not wait to see her gone. I know she just had a lot of pent up feelings for Day, but that does not give her permission to hurt him.
Kaede: I loved Kaede. She was pretty hardcore. I mean, she ran all the way to the Colonies to warn Day and June. Then she flew their airplane through an impenetrable wall with her pure awesomeness. Which means, of course, that I am heartbroken with how things turned out. However, I can't help thinking that Kaede knew what might happen to her and chose to risk it anyway.
Anden: He was not the character I expected him to be...at all. He was sweet and clever and brave. And he truly cared about the Republic and its people. This is not a love triangle. Day and June are always supporting each other. But, I really don't like seeing Anden heartbroken over June. I really can't wait to read more about him in the third book.

Excellent Plot: CHECK
This series could have easily become like every other dystopian book. It could have become a book where the brave revolutionaries join up with the perfect rebel group and take down the absolutely corrupt government. But this book became more complicated and genuine than that. The Colonies are not some perfect paradise and The Republic is not a system that is completely full of corrupt people. They are both somewhere in between. And the main difference is that by the end of this book June and Day aren't fighting to take down the government, they are fighting to change it into something different, something better. I truly enjoy these books because they are full of both political problems and awesome action scenes.

Plot Twists and Page Turners: CHECK
I loved that a lot of the plot twists in this book stemmed from relationships and who someone could and could not trust. Or from someone turning out to be on a different side than you thought for a different reason than you thought (such as Kaede, Razor, Anden, or Tess). Also the switching perspectives never failed to keep it interesting. Not only were they interesting though, they were also expertly written. They really sounded like the voices of the two different characters (and have I mentioned that I love the different color for each perspective? because I think it is pure genius).

Quotes:

"Because June wouldn't need my help."

"I am June Iparis, I remind myself. I'm not going to let him see the chaos I'm feeling."

"His policies did work. The Trials did make our armies stronger. Does that make what he did right, though?"

"I feel invincible, or invisible. One or the other, maybe both."

"Maybe I've been trying to escape to the wrong place and run away from the wrong things."

"...and I realize, at last, that June is right. I don't want to see the Republic collapse. I want to see it change."

"You were born to shake the Republic. June, there is no one better."

"But you...you've always been everything that the people need. You have the chance to change things."

"Love is illogical, love has consequences-I did this to myself, and I should be able to take it. So take it, June."

No comments:

Post a Comment