Sunday, February 10, 2013

Son of Neptune.

The Son of Neptune
By: Rick Riordan
The Son of Neptune (Heroes of Olympus, #2)
Percy is confused. When he awoke from his long sleep, he didn't know much more than his name. His brain fuzz is lingering, even after the wolf Lupa told him he is a demigod and trained him to fight with the pen/sword in his pocket. Hazel is supposed to be dead. When she lived before, she didn't do a very good job of it. Sure, she was an obedient daughter, even when her mother was possessed by greed. But that was the problem — when the Voice took over her mother and commanded Hazel to use her "gift" for an evil purpose, Hazel couldn't say no. Frank is a klutz. His grandmother says he is descended from heroes and can be anything he wants to be, but he doesn't see it. He doesn't even know who his father is. He keeps hoping Apollo will claim him, because the only thing he is good at is archery — although not good enough to win camp war games.

Percy is back and everything is good... (well, as good as it can get for a demigod.)

Brave and Funny Heroes: CHECK
Percy: I AM JUST SO HAPPY TO HAVE HIM BACK. So very happy. I missed him so much in The Lost Hero. I didn't know how I was going to react to Percy in third person instead of first, but I really enjoyed it. He was just as funny and just as awesome, because Rick Riordan finds a way to make third person feel a lot like first person. I also really liked reading about Percy from Hazel and Frank's perspectives. He seemed even braver and smarter from their point of view. I can't get over how much I am glad to have him back, even though he was only gone for one book. Also, if you are going to choose a third wheel, you should choose Percy Jackson. He was shipping Hazel and Frank basically the entire quest.
Frank: Can I have my own personal Frank? Please? He is so sweet and charming and clumsy and dorky. And I kind of wanted to slap him when he kept putting himself down about being unimportant, but it was also kind of endearing. All of his lines to Hazel were the most adorable things. Like when he said,

"Thanks for breakfast. And the clothes. And...for not hating me."

or,

"Frank balled his fists. He looked around like he was searching for anybody who might disagree with him-enemies he could hit for Hazel's sake. "She's a good person!" he yelled across the street."

Brave and Smart Heroine: CHECK
Hazel is really awesome. I am glad that Nico has a sister again to make sure he's not all alone. I'm also really happy that she got the chance to correct her mistake (by finally killing Alcyoneus). I respected her a lot more when I learned that she gave up Elysium to keep her mom out of the Fields of Punishment. I really want to see more of Hazel and Frank together as a couple, because they are just completely adorable together.

Extraordinary Supporting Characters: CHECK
Vitellius: He's basically the Roman version of Sir Cadugeon from Harry Potter. He's annoying, hilarious, and all too ready to talk about the "good old roman days". And he's a Lar and Cadugeon is a ghost, so that works out too.
Octavian: Creepy stuffed-animal-disemboweler. Gross power-hungry jerk. I have a terrible feeling that Rick Riordan is going to explain his past and try to make him a likeable character. That would just be horrible considering I don't want to like him. Then again, maybe not. I suppose we'll have to see.
Karpoi: There is nothing quite like being attacked by a bunch of evil grain spirits.
Iris: And finally we get to meet her, after six books of sending Iris messages. I've been wanting to meet her, and she turned out much...different from what I expected her to be. From now on, ROFL will stand for Rainbow Organic Food & Lifestyle in my mind.
Ella: She's pretty adorable. I am very interested in seeing her importance played out, what prophecies she remembers and things like that. 
Amazon(s): Hilarious. Again Riordan finds a way to integrate the old stories into the modern world in the most hilarious and inventive ways. 
Hylla: If there was ever a moment when I felt like both series were planned from the very beginning it was her. She was just a name mentioned in passing in the second book, but her story makes SENSE. This plot is so intricate, it's truly just amazing.

Excellent Plot: CHECK
The Heroes of Olympus books are bigger. There are more characters and more perspectives. The quests are closer to impossible. The villains are more powerful. The stories are darker. And the plot is a lot more intricate. It seems like Riordan it taking great effort to grow with his readers and with his characters. Percy isn't a twelve year old boy anymore. He's a sixteen year old who has fought all sorts of monsters and survived "against all odds".

Plot Twists and Page Turners: CHECK
So many monsters, both new and old, for the demigods to face. Besides all the action, one of the things keeping you reading are all of the new things you're learning about Camp Jupiter (how different it all is from Camp Half-Blood).

Quotes:

“Frank imitated the voice of Vitellius: 'They're wimps! Back in my day, we died all the time, and we liked it!”

"...and gave him a kiss whenever he did something stupid. She must have kissed me a lot, Percy thought."

"You seem to be clean," Terminus decided. "Do you have anything to declare?""Yes," Percy said. "I declare this is stupid."

"He warned me the greediest wishes cause the greatest sorrows."

"She gave me her-what did she call it-her direct number? So I had to say, O Fleecy, do me a solid. Show me Reyna at Camp Jupiter."

"We Amazons-we would prefer to live life to the fullest. We love, we fight, we die."

"Hate men?" said the queen. "No, no, we like men, We just like to show them who's in charge."

"I don't think so," Percy guessed. "He just said, 'I will trample you to death, silly Chinese Canadian baby man."

"Not your girlfriend?" Grandmother guessed. "Well, she should be, you dolt! Don't let her get away. You need strong women in your life, if you haven't noticed."

"You are amazing," she said. "And you make a very handsome elephant."

"Kinzie said, batting her eyes. "We have you to thank for that. If you ever need a new girlfriend...well, I think you'd look great in an iron collar and an orange jumpsuit."

No comments:

Post a Comment