Tuesday, January 15, 2013

The Lightning Thief.

The Lightning Thief
By: Rick Riordan
The Lightning Thief (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #1)

Percy Jackson is about to be kicked out of boarding school... again. And that's the least of his troubles. Lately, mythological monsters and the gods of Mount Olympus seem to be walking straight out of the pages of Percy's Greek mythology textbook and into his life. And worse, he's angered a few of them. Zeus' master lightning bolt has been stolen, and Percy is the prime suspect

No idea why I put off reading this for so long. Maybe I thought it was a kid book or not interesting enough, but boy was I wrong STUPID. This was fantastic! Hopefully this'll teach me not to just a book by its genre.

Smart and Brave Hero: CHECK
dude, I wish every twelve year old was as hilarious and down-to-earth as Percy is. I had to keep reminding myself that he was a twelve year old facing a multitude of monsters taht he didn't even know existed a few days before. anyway, I kind of love him!

Original Plot and Unique Setting: CHECK
The way that the myths are woven into the story as well as the whole of world history was absolutely amazing. The level of thought that Riordan must have put into this would have been (like Washington being a son of Athena and all the other little details) was fantastic. The plot was perfectly paced to match the action without losing any of the plot.And even though, if you think about it long enough, this is technically a "roadtrip book" it is completely and uniquely its own.

Extraordinary Supporting Characters: CHECK
Grover: Well, to make this explanation simple I'll just say that Grover just passed up Mr. Tumnus on my list of favorite Satyrs ever.
Annabeth: If Percy is everything that I wish all twelve year olds were like, then Annabeth is everything that I wish my twelve year old self had been. She was sarcastic, brave, and sort of caring (deep down, at least).
Sally Jackson: I think she wins the Sweetest Woman Ever award for putting up with Gabe for Percy. and she kind of rocked for wanting to fight her own battles.


Plot Twists and Action: CHECK
I loved how when they were on their way to Los Angeles they had little mini adventures all over the place (like with Medusa and the Lotus Hotel and with Mr. Crusty). These exciting escapades kept the action levels up and the story moving forward.

I can't wait to read the rest of the series and meet more gods and go on more adventures.


Quotes:

“Even strength must bow to wisdom sometimes.”

“Braccas meas vescimini!"
I wasn't sure where the Latin came from. I think it meant 'Eat my pants!”


"Because you're my friend, Seaweed Brain. Any more stupid questions?”

"What horrible things would you have to do in your life to get woven into Hades' underwear?”

“The sea does not like to be restrained. ”

“I think he would've done well as the god of theater.”

“Die, human! Die, silly polluting nasty person!”

“I whistled. "You have evil thoughts for a goat.”

No comments:

Post a Comment