Sunday, November 18, 2012

Insurgent.

Insurgent
by: Veronica Roth


One choice can transform you--or it can destroy you. But every choice has consequences, and as unrest surges in the factions all around her, Tris Prior must continue trying to save those she loves--and herself--while grappling with haunting questions of grief and forgiveness, identity and loyalty, politics and love.

Smart and Brave Heroine:
Tris is so kick-butt! Even when she is so guilt-stricken that she can't think straight she is an amazing protagonist. At the beginning I was so frustrated with her, but at the same time it propelled the story, and I know that if she wasn't guilty for what she did to Will I would think a lot less of her. She is on a different page than Tobias and from the mindset she needs to be in to help all the factions, but it was something she had to work through on her own time.

Moral of the story: I think Tris is amazing and I can't even describe how I love reading her.

Brave and Intelligent Hero:
Four, Tobias, whatever you choose to call him, he is spectacular! Goodness gracious! I think Tris pushes him to his limit by her lack of self-preservation, in the same way I think that Tobias (and many other things) push Tris to her limit. The thing about that is that both Tobias and Tris find a way to come back from their breaking points stronger, smarter, braver, and all-around better than they've ever been.

Original Setting and Unique Plot:

As good as Veronica's world-building was in Divergent, it was even better in this book. She took the world she'd already built and expanded it and built on it. We got to see all the faction's cultures and their way of decision-making. I saw the different faults of the factions and their strengths too. I understand more, too, as to why this would be seen as a good idea, with people supporting different virtues you would always have people with each necessary virtue, what they failed to see, however, was that the virtues are only useful when used together. Also, all my questions were answered in this book, such as: what is outside the city? More factions?, and how did the factions come about? And why?, and why don't the factionless join together as one? Now that they are answered I have full trust in Roth's story-telling capabilities.

Extraordinary Supporting Characters:
Yes, there were so many lovable or utterly detestable characters to get engulfed in, some new and some old.
1. Evelyn, Marcus, Jeanine, and Johanna:All the more political figures whose presence were much needed in the book. They kept the politics edgy and the plot line evolving. I love when even I, as the reader, am not sure who to trust. I totally believed all of their motives and either loved or hated them for it.
2. Christina, Peter, Uriah, Marlene, and Edward:Oh, the returning initiates, I have so many mixed feelings towards you. I literally wanted to hug Christina when she made her comeback into the story, but I felt so bad for her. I understood her feelings toward Tris but I am so glad she got over them and became her old self again. It made me incredibly happy when she cracked her first joke of the book, although it took a while to get to it. And Peter? What a coward. Even when he does something brave (coughcoughsavinghercoughcough) it is for a somewhat pathetic reason and not at all because he wants to be a good person. Uriah and Marlene and Lynn and all the other Dauntless, how I love them and, as a result, am mostly heartbroken. I was so taken aback by Edward's reappearance in the story, I did not and could not have expected that.
3. Fernando:He deserved his own number because within the span of, at most, five pages I fell in love with him. Which of course, once again left me quite incredibly broken hearted.


Plot Twists and Page Turners: CHECK
SO MANY! I read this book in the span of about seven hours, if that tells you anything. The betrayal, heartbreak, guilt, hatred, love, and romance left me longing for more with every page. Ahhh...

Why did it have to end. Book three come out soon or I will implode with worry and longing. O
nce again, I praise Veronica Roth's wonderful writing. Her amazing plot and intriguing characters.

Quotes:

“Cruelty does not make a person dishonest, the same way bravery does not make a person kind.”

“We both have war inside us. Sometimes it keeps us alive. Sometimes it threatens to destroy us.”

“It reminds me why I chose Dauntless in the first place: not because they are perfect, but because they are alive. Because they are free.”

“No matter how long you train someone to be brave, you never know if they are or not until something real happens.”

“The truth has a way of changing people's plans.”

“You die, I die too.”

"It isn't about you," she says. "It is a gift. You cannot earn it, or it ceases to be a gift.”

"I have done bad things. I can't take them back, and they are a part of who I am. Most of the time, they seem like the only thing I am.”

"Noise and activity are the refuges of the bereaved and the guilty.”

No comments:

Post a Comment