Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Throne of Glass.

Throne of Glass
by: Sarah J. Maas


After serving out a year of hard labor in the salt mines of Endovier for her crimes, 18-year-old assassin Celaena Sardothien is dragged before the Crown Prince. Prince Dorian offers her her freedom on one condition: she must act as his champion in a competition to find a new royal assassin.

Kick-butt and Smart Heroine: CHECK
Celaena Sardothien. She wasn't just the typical kick-butt, not all too feminine, rebellious heroine. I liked how Sarah wrote Celaena so that she was also feminine. She was incredibly smart and was very adaptive to whatever situation she was put in. I appreciated how she wasn't always completely untroubled by her circumstances. She often couldn't sleep because of her worry and her stress. I just loved her never quit attitude and how she was sure she was just as good if not better than the all of the men she was up against.

Brave and Clever Hero: CHECK X2
love triangle. OH THE LOVE TRIANGLE. Sarah J. Maas was so determined to make sure that I was utterly confused. I love Dorian, but I just love Chaol as well.

Dorian: I loved him. I just couldn't help it. He was charming and sweet and yet he was still a bad boy (and you know how much girls like that... ;) ) However, as far as who I wanted Celaena to end up with, his charm did him in. I just can never bring myself to trust any character that oozes charm. They always seem to be up to something. As the book went on I slowly learned to trust him, but it was already too late for him. He was also something like a player in the beginning, and that's never an appealing trait in a romantic lead. So as much as I loved him, I couldn't in good conscious want him to end up with Celaena.

Chaol: well, Chaol is a different story altogether. The romance in this book had the feeling of a love triangle that one character (Chaol) was determined to not make a love triangle. In his mind Celaena was nothing but trouble (not just because she was an assasin, but also because Dorian had already taken an interest in her.) But, I love how Sarah let us in on the fact that he liked her before he even knew it himself. I thought their relationship and how they interacted with each other was just adorable. I was cracking up most of the time while reading their conversations.

So in my opinion, Chaol and Celaena should be together. But I also want Dorian to meet a nice girl (I might even ship Dorian and Nehemia... but that's neither here nor there. and no judging! ;) )

Original Setting and Unique Plot: CHECK
Indeed. I loved the plot movement in this book. There were dark creatures, multiple villainous people, magical forces at work, and a kick-butt competition. With all of these things to develop its a miracle that Sarah even fit them all in, let alone fitting it all in so well. There was just so much interesting stuff going on and so many people plotting evil things that it never got boring. I applaud Sarah Maas for her amazing world-building and her amazing plot.

Extraordinary Supporting Characters:
Nehemia: Sassy and strong and completely loyal. what more could you ask for in a friend? that's right... nothing! I just loved her from the moment I read her. She was just such a character of depth and meaning. She had a heart for her people. Her heart broke for them and she could not accept sitting around and doing nothing to help them.

The King: He scared the bjeebers (sorry, I don't know the spelling for what I assume is a made-up word...) out of me. He was creepy and dark and just plain villainous. I'm actually afraid for Dorian, Celaena, and Chaol and what his father is going to force them to do for him. I wish they weren't in his service, but it just makes the book that much more interesting.

Cain: I HATED HIM! I just wanted to punch him in the face all the time. He was creepy and kind of came off to me as brutish and stupid. Which of course, is exactly what he was.

Kaltain: She was just a murderous, back-stabbing, hateful, jealous druggie imbecile. and that's all I have to say on the matter.

Elena: I want to hear more about her story and what happened to Celaena's parents. My guess is that Celaena is a distant relative of hers and therefore has some magical blood. and I'm excited to hear more and more about that.

Plot Twists and Plenty of Action: CHECK
So many plot twists and so much action! This book is one of the best fantasy books that I have ever read. EVER. There was so much action in the competition. We didn't even get to read that much of the competition scenes (except the duel), but there was still so much happening. There were murders in dark corridors and a giant demon-beast. We thought for a while that Nehemia was the conspirator and then she wasn't again. Celaena might have run away, but she didn't. There was just so much keeping the story going and changing. I loved that about it.

In all I appreciate and praise Sarah J. Maas' story-telling abilities. I think she is a fantastic writer and I absolutely cannot wait for the next book in the series.

Quotes:

"“Libraries were full of ideas–perhaps the most dangerous and powerful of all weapons.”

“I wasn't going to kill him, you buffoon.”

“You could rattle the stars," she whispered. "You could do anything, if only you dared. And deep down, you know it, too. That’s what scares you most.”

“Sometimes, the wicked will tell us things just to confuse us–to haunt our thoughts long after we've faced them.”

"This was all she had left--his outstretched hand, and the promise of hope, of something better waiting on the other side of the line.”

"She might have been insulted if he wasn't trying so hard.”

“With each day he felt the barriers melting. He let them melt. Because of her genuine laugh, because he caught her one afternoon sleeping with her face in the middle of a book, because he knew that she would win.”

“We each survive in our own way.”

"'But you're going to outlast them,' Chaol continued. 'And when they wake up the morning of the final duel and find that you are their opponent, and that you have beaten them, the look on their faces will make all of the insults and lack of attention worthwhile.”

“She lifted her eyes to his face, and found his gaze lined with silver. "Get up," was all he said.”

No comments:

Post a Comment