Friday, November 23, 2012

Sisters Red.

Sisters Red
by: Jackson Pearce


Scarlett March lives to hunt the Fenris--the werewolves that took her eye when she was defending her sister Rosie from a brutal attack. Armed with a razor-sharp hatchet and blood-red cloak, Scarlett is an expert at luring and slaying the wolves.Rosie March once felt her bond with her sister was unbreakable. Owing Scarlett her life, Rosie hunts ferociously alongside her. But even as more girls' bodies pile up in the city and the Fenris seem to be gaining power, Rosie dreams of a life beyond the wolves.

Not my favorite Fairy-tale retelling, but a solid read.

Smart and Interesting Heroine: CHECK
Not one but two, goodness gracious!

Scarlett: I loved her passion! While I could see why someone would find her level of passion/obsession crazy, I understood. I can get like that too over things I love. She obsessed over things and couldn't let them go if she had her mind set on them and decided that it was the right thing to do. She was always putting up a fight and pushing herself further to do what is right. I really loved reading her perspective!
Rosie: as much as I agreed with Scarlett's obsession, I also sympathized with Rosie's situation! She desperately wanted to not need something other than hunting, but she just could not live that way. Also, I am a sucker for friends as close as family shifting into romance because it is one of the strongest and sweetest forms of r
omance. Therefore, I was a fan of  Silas and Rosie's friendship morphing into so much more.


Sweet and Brave Hero: CHECK
Silas was everything I look for in a male protagonist. He was brave, sweet, and incredibly real. He also had a respect for both Rosie and Scarlett that I found completely adorable. He loved them both enough to make him very careful of Rosie and Scarlett's sisterhood because he knew what bad sibling relations are like.


Original Setting and Unique Plot: NOPE
As much as I love re-tellings, I prefer when they add some new element to the story. Something unexpected and new that makes me even more interesting. For me this was a somewhat typical kind of werewolf (fenris) that did typical werewolf things.

Extraordinary Supporting Characters: NOPE
I loved the characters, but there was really only three of them. I love when books have a whole cast of side characters for me to fall in love with, but this book spent most of its time furthering the characterization of Rosie, Scarlett, and Silas. There was no one else to get attached to, I kept wanting them to make new friends in the city (even though I knew that they couldn't because they are hunters).


Plot Twists and Plenty of Action: CHECK
There was plenty of action and fighting scenes that kept the plot going, but when they got into a hunting slump the book really slowed down. And the plot twists were all somewhat expected except one towards the end that totally caught me off guard and that is why it still managed to get this check.


A lovely read and recommended to those looking for a somewhat light action-y read.

No comments:

Post a Comment