Sunday, November 18, 2012

Divergent.

Divergent
by: Veronica Roth


In Beatrice Prior's dystopian Chicago, society is divided into five factions, each dedicated to the cultivation of a particular virtue--Candor, Abnegation, Dauntless, Amity, and Erudite. On an appointed day of every year, all sixteen-year-olds must select the faction to which they will devote the rest of their lives. For Beatrice, the decision is between staying with her family and being who she really is--she can't have both. So she makes a choice that surprises everyone, including herself.

Okay: I LOVED this book! :D and I'll tell you why:


Smart and Intelligent Heroine: CHECK
Tris (Beatrice) was everything I expect from a female protagonist; she was smart, interesting, complex, and kick-butt. I've heard people say that she was basically emotionless, but I disagree wholeheartedly. I thought she displayed the emotions of someone who has just chosen to leave her family and basically her entire life behind just to try to discover who she is, and who then discovers that she must fight for her place inside what was supposed to be her new home. I liked her journey from the selfless little girl into being the brave strong woman who does what she has to save herself and those she loves.

Complex, Sweet, and Brave Hero: CHECK
Tobias was fantastically intriguing. He was sweet when he she needed sweet, and was honest and tough when she needed that. Past just the romantic side of him (if that is even possible ;)), the character development was amazing where he was concerned. He wasn't just the 'perfect', supportive, sweet, semi-boring hero that I've read before. He was deep and he had a back-story that made him more genuine. He wasn't perfect, he was raw and real, which I found completely refreshing.

Original Setting and Unique Plot: CHECK
Again, I have heard some people who thought the world that Veronica Roth created didn't make any sense as to how it would come about. And again, I have to disagree. I found the idea of different people groups valuingcertain character qualities to be quite interesting, after all don't different cultures value different qualities?
For example:
don't americans value freedom greatly, whereas another culture may value obedience to authority, or the act being a leader. And as far as the five qualities she chose to represent, I thought they were the main qualities that encompass most other qualities. So, I thoroughly thought that this world was plenty plausible and downright intriguing.



Extraordinary Supporting Characters? CHECK
Christina:That girl is hilarious and tells it like it is which was really fun to read. Also, she provided the right amount of relief from the drama and intensity of the initiation stages. Although I was kind of mad at her when she got jealous of Tris, but I also understood.
Will:I loved him! I loved him SO much! Which of course made the ending that much more heartbreaking, but I shall refrain from explaining any further for those poor souls that have yet to read the book (and to those people I say vehemently: GO GET IT!), but let's just say I was devastated.
Albert:I always felt so bad for him despite Tris' insistence that he was kind of a baby. And, I really wanted him to do well and keep going even after "the incident" (again I won't explain further). After that happened I was disappointed in him but I still wanted him to be okay. Therefore, I was once more heartbroken.
Tobias and Eric:I know I already mentioned Tobias extensively but this is more about the differences between Tobias and Eric. Eric of course represented the side of the dauntless That appreciates recklessness and the lack of fear. They are also just as desperate for power as the erudite are. To them bravery means never ever being afraid and doing stupid things to prove their strength. Tobias, however, represented those few left in the dauntless that believed in everyday courage and the selfless version of strength. And where Eric believes in the lack of fear, tobias favors more the overcoming of fear and journey that comes from that.

And there are so many others that I won't even talk about but loved nonetheless (Tris' mom, Caleb, Uriah, Jeanine, and even the vile Peter)

Plot Twists and Fast-Paced Action? CHECK
The plot twists in this book are so unexpected and earth-shattering, but mostly come from people turning out to be more than you expected, or less honorable than you thought. Also, the desire for power no matter the cost is what mainly propels the plot in the last hundred-or-so pages.And the writing? I concluded that Veronica Roth is quite a writer and I decided that I really enjoy her style of telling a story.

and now the section where I give you amazing quotes from this amazing book:

Quotes:

"We believe in ordinary acts of bravery, in the courage that drives one person to stand up for another.”

“Becoming fearless isn't the point. That's impossible. It's learning how to control your fear, and how to be free from it.”

“A brave man acknowledges the strength of others.”

"I have a theory that selflessness and bravery aren't all that different.”

"Fear doesn't shut you down; it wakes you up. I've seen it. It's fascinating."

“And is it selfish of me to crave victory, or is it brave?”


No comments:

Post a Comment