Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Bookish Playlist #2.

Bookish Playlist: Part II
I did a bookish playlist early last year (you can find that here). I loved putting some of my favorite songs together with some of my favorite books. So this post has been quite a while in the works, but I finally have enough pairings that I love to post this.
 
The title of each book will have a link to my review of that book. The title of each song will have a link to a video where you can listen to the song.

Finnikin of the Rock-- Is There Anyone Out There by Delta Rae
Finnikin of the Rock (Lumatere Chronicles, #1)I think explanation is right there in the chorus, but this is a exile's song. It's full of references to be lost and small and alone. Yet there is a note of hope in it, they are carrying the fire for all those who could not return with them, for all those they lost along the way.

"Children born tomorrow may never know the language we speak...Is there anyone out there? You know me. I am the son of a lost country, of a new world."
 

Froi of the Exiles-- Dust Bowl Dance by: Mumford & Sons
Froi of the Exiles (Lumatere Chronicles, #2)This song has the heart of Froi and the grit and bitterness of Charyn. I can feel the regret and the soul of Froi in this song. I think about that book every time I listen to this song.

"I've been kicked off my land at the age of sixteen, and I have no idea where else my heart could have been. I placed all my trust at the foot of this hill, and now I am sure my heart could never be still."



Quintana of Charyn--The Cave by: Mumford & Sons
Quintana of Charyn (Lumatere Chronicles, #3)This could be a song for any of the relationships in this book. Isaboe and Finnikin, Quintana and Froi, Phaedra and Lucian. There is a sort of desperation to it, but there is also love.  I think this gets across the hope that is one of the major themes of this story.

"But I will hold on hope, and I won't let you choke on the noose around your neck. And I'll find strength in pain and I will change my ways. I'll know my name when it's called again."


The Diviners-- Rabbit Heart (Raise it Up) by: Florence and the Machine
The Diviners (The Diviners, #1)This song makes me think of Evie. It has that creepy vibe that finds its way throughout this book. This one is more about the feel of it for me, but really I think it fits pretty well.

"Who is the lamb and who is the knife?...before I make the final sacrifice."





Crown of Midnight--Howl by: Florence and the Machine
Crown of Midnight (Throne of Glass, #2)For me, this is Calaena's ultimate assassin song. Every time she's hunting someone down or doing something else kick-butt, I picture this song in the background. I basically listened to this song on repeat when I was reading Crown of Midnight and the novellas. It has the desperate, distinct feel that the books give me, you know?

"Howl. Now there's no holding back, I'm making to attack. My blood is singing with your voice I want to pour it out. The saint's can't help me now, the ropes have been unbound. I hunt for you with bloody feet across the hallowed ground."


The Girl of Fire and Thorns--Blinding by: Florence and the Machine
The Girl of Fire and Thorns (Fire and Thorns, #1)This song is Elisa's transformation for me. She's waking up, finding her power, realizing where she belongs in the world. She gets thrown into this very political situation and she has to find a way to work it out for herself.

"And I could hear the thunder and see the lightning crack. All around the world was waking, I never could go back. 'Cause all the worlds of dreaming, they were torn wide open."


Siege and Storm--Landscape by: Florence and the Machine
Siege and Storm (The Grisha, #2)Okay, I know this is my fourth Florence and the Machine song, but can you blame me? Florence and the Machine just understands these awesome female characters, you know?
I love how this song focuses a lot on natural imagery, angry oceans, snow, and storms. It has the feel that I imagine the in Ravka. It sounds sort of like a dark folk tale in its lyrics, which is how Leigh Bardugo's writing comes across as well, which I love.

"She's just like the weather, can't hold her together. Born from dark water, daughter of the rain and snow and it's burning through the bloodline, cutting down the family tree, rolling in the landscape, darling, in between you and me."


The Hunger Games--Reaching the Potential: A Silent Film
The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1)This is my song for all tributes in the Games. You can hear the corruption in this song, the unfair system that the singer seems to have accepted. It's bitter, but not angry. This is not a rebellion song, just like The Hunger Games is not a rebellion book, not like the rest of the books are. That's what strikes me about the first book. The citizens of Panem had become so used to this heinous way of life, they were too tired and beaten down to do anything but keep living. That's why they needed a Mockingjay, that's why they needed Katniss.

"And anyway we know how we’re gonna get our bellies full. Living on a fault line. Are we reaching our potential? Animals in cages, actors on a payroll, and maybe in our lifetime. Are we reaching our potential? When you reach your potential, we reach our potential. We’ll be laughing with out bellies full."

Alanna: The First Adventure---Drop of Smoke by: Hudson Taylor
Alanna: The First Adventure (Song of the Lioness, #1)I think this song combines the jaunty fun of this series with the determination and will of Alanna. I love the folk vibe for this series, especially the more upbeat kind of folk. It strikes at the younger feel of the series without lessening the appeal or being too simple for the tone of the books.

"I'll never stop the fighting, so bring me to your worst. I'll never stop believing, that I could rule the world one day, one day."



Mark of Athena---Sail by: AWOLNATION
The Mark of Athena (The Heroes of Olympus, #3)This song is epic and loud and fun. That's what Mark of Athena is, too. The seven are together, finally and they are traveling across an ocean to face an army of giants and the earth itself. But it's still fun, it's still an adventure. This song feels like it would be playing on the Argo II all the time, just blasting from the windows. I mean, to be more obvious, they're on a giant flying boat and the main lyric is "SAIL!" Sooooo... You know. (And also, "Blame it on my A.D.D.?" They're demigods! It's perfect!)

"Maybe I'm a different breed. Maybe I'm not listening. So blame it on my A.D.D., baby. Sail! Sail!"

The Final Empire --- Hold on to what you Believe by: Mumford and Sons
The Final Empire (Mistborn, #1)This song is, quite literally, perfect for this book. The verses sound exactly like the crew, particularly Vin and Kelsier. What was the crew doing in this book if not holding on firmly to what they believe, or more like, holding on to what Kelsier believed. There's doubt ("What if I was wrong?"), but then there is the voice of Sazed and Kelsier, urging the listener to believe, even in the dark, even in the light. Whenever I start missing the days when I read The Final Empire, I go and listen to this song and it makes me feel more connected with the book, even though I'm reading other things. (Oh gosh, that sounds like a break-up or something...). But really, this song should start playing when anyone asks for a summary of this book.

"But we're young, open flowers in the windy fields of this war-torn world. And love, this city breathes the plague of loving things more than their creators...Oh, what if I was wrong? But hold on to what you believe in the light when the darkness has robbed you of all your sight"


Faking Normal---Little Talks by: Of Monster and Men
Faking NormalChoosing a song for this book was important, if only because of how big a part music plays in the story, how much it helps Alexi. But the choice was pretty easy to choose in the end.
I love this song for it because it has a girl vocalist and a guy vocalist almost conversing with each other. It's very much like the book in that way. It feels like Alexi and Bodee to me. The singers answer each other, reminding the other that they're still there. And they talk about secrets and the things that haunt you, but it's more like the end of the book, when they are learning to let go of those things.

"I don't like walking around this old and empty house. So hold my hand, I'll walk with you, my dear
There's an old voice in my head that's holding me back. Well tell her that I miss our little talks. Soon it will be over and buried with our past. We used to play outside when we were young. and full of life and full of love. Cause though the truth may vary.  This ship will carry our bodies safe to shore."



No comments:

Post a Comment