Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Through the Ever Night

Through the Ever Night
By: Veronica Rossi
Through the Ever Night (Under the Never Sky, #2)

Now Aria and Perry are about to be reunited. It's a moment they've been longing for with countless expectations. And it's a moment that lives up to all of them. At least, at first. Then it slips away. The Tides don't take kindly to former Dwellers like Aria. And the tribe is swirling out of Perry's control. With the Aether storms worsening every day, the only remaining hope for peace and safety is the Still Blue. But does this haven truly exist? Threatened by false friends and powerful temptations, Aria and Perry wonder, Can their love survive through the ever night?

WOAH. This book was so fantastic. It really showcased how complex this world is that Veronica Rossi has built. This series has stunningly well-written characters, tons of purposeful action, and a world that is unlike anything I've ever read. I've fallen in love with this series. I've been really wanting to marathoning a great series since the beginning of the year, but didn't quite find the right one until I started this one.
 
Characters:
Aria: I love Aria so much. I think she's really a great character. She's thoughtful, smart, and pretty kick-butt when she needs to be. As much as I like Aria and Perry when they're together, I think it was really important for their development to see them apart in this book. She held her own in the wilderness and in negotiations. She made mistakes, but did her best to fix them or make up for them. And Aria's friendship with Roar is the BEST THING. I think it is important to note that she is truly a great friend. Their relationship is so well-written and great to see (especially in an area that male-female purely platonic friendships aren't given the credit they are due). I mean, this line was perfect.
 
"You know, you could do a lot better than him, ladybug."
Aria shook her head. "No. I couldn't."
 
Perry: I love seeing him in the leadership role. It suits him in a way and it suits the story. He has these huge responsibilities weighing on him. He doesn't take them lightly. Even though he can get tiresome at times, I think that's also an important part of his character. He's forever blaming himself for things gone wrong, which is both endearing and frustrating (in a good way).
Roar: Like I said in my review of Under the Never Sky, I LOVE him. Especially in this book we see so much of him. He makes me feel sad and happy and like laughing. I think that's the true measure of a supporting character, if they make you feel deeply for them. Yet the wonderful thing is that Rossi never allows him to steal scenes in a way that detracts from either Perry or Aria. Rather his presence makes them both better characters, he makes them stand out even further.
Marron: I think he is a fascinating character. He doesn't have that big of a slot, but when he shows up I am always interested in what he has to say.
Cinder: Poor baby! I am so worried for him now. And I want him to finally get an existence outside of everything he's had to deal with.
 
Plot:
It is getting crazy. and I love it. There are so many forces moving against and around each other, coming together, betraying each other or working together. I love that no one knows for sure what they're doing, where of if they are going to be able to find safety. It adds urgency and purpose to the story. Now we're off Into the Still Blue (not a spoiler if it's the title of the next book ;) ) and I can't wait to find out what the heck is going to happen to this world.
 
World-building:
Just as engaging as the first book, perhaps more so even. There was a paragraph on how the Aether came to be in this book, but it is still sort of sketchy. That being said, I could not care less. This story is too well-told, too immersive and too wonderful for me to get bogged down in that. And, again, like I said in my review of  Under the Never Sky, the world that we see in the here-and-now of the story is so unique and vivid.
 
Quotes:
 
"I'm tired of settling for this because I don't know if something better exists. It has to. What point is there otherwise? I can do something about it now. And I will."
 
"When it came to pain, reasons didn't matter."
 
"Ideals belong in a world only the wise man can understand."

No comments:

Post a Comment