Monday, February 24, 2014

The Luxe

The Luxe
By: Anna Godbersen
The Luxe (Luxe, #1)
Beautiful sisters Elizabeth and Diana Holland rule Manhattan's social scene. Or so it appears. When the girls discover their status among New York City's elite is far from secure, suddenly everyone - from the backstabbing socialite Penelope Hayes, to the debonair bachelor Henry Schoonmaker, to the spiteful maid Lina Broud - threatens Elizabeth's and Diana's golden future.
 
Addictive and hard to put down. I haven't been reading enough historical as of late and this was a really great way to jump back into the genre again. This is easy-to-read historical with interesting characters and a pretty engaging plot.
 
I don't have too much to say about this book other than that I did really enjoy it. It wasn't the most original or inspirational book I've read, but it was really fun to read. The plot is pretty predictable (I called it from maybe a fourth of the way in), but that didn't do anything to lessen my overall enjoyment of the book.
 
The characters are interesting, if not overly complex. I am excited to continue with this series to find out what happens to everyone.
 
I guess my main problem with this book is that I don't feel like I came out of it with anything. By that I mean that while I enjoyed the time I spent reading the book, I didn't come out of it knowing more about the world or about myself. I know you can't expect that with every book, but I do hope for it each time. (And that might have more to do with my connection to the book rather than the book's objective quality).
 
This book did re-awaken my long burning love for Historical Fiction. I've let that love fall by the wayside too much recently. I am now going to be making a conscious effort to read the genre more often because I do love it so.
 
Quotes:
 
"Up above her, the universe was expansive and incandescent, but it seemed to...be mocking her, reminding her that while it was large and glittering, her own world was small, unforgiving, and inescapable."

No comments:

Post a Comment