Monday, October 14, 2013

TTT: Books I was "Forced" to Read

Books I Was "Forced" to Read
Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly feature hosted by The Broke and the Bookish. Every week they have a different Top Ten list topic that a bunch of bloggers take and make their own list of those things.

Eleanor & Park1. Eleanor and Park
Okay, so I wasn't neccesarily "forced" to read this book, but the hype made me do it. Now that's a pretty serious thing considering I almost NEVER read contemporary. So for the reviews to be so good that I felt that I had to pick up a contemporary, you know it's serious hype-age. (Also, I'm so glad that I picked it up seeing as I loved it.)
 
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (Harry Potter, #1)
2. Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone
I know, I know. But I was eight and I thought it would be too scary. But my mom told me that if I wanted to watch the movie with them then I had to read the book. So I did. And the rest is history. ;)
 
Eragon (The Inheritance Cycle, #1)3. Eragon
Again, I know. This is one of my favorite series! How was I resistant to read it? But my brother loved it and I had tried to read it and got about a chapter in before deciding that I hated it. But my brother dared me to read it right before the third book came out, and as a young girl I could not turn down a dare. So I read it and LOVED it and of course, I completed the series and it became one of my favorites.
 
The Phantom Tollbooth4. The Phantom Tollbooth
And by "forced to read it" I mean I was forced to listen to it. This was because my fourth grade teacher read it out loud to our class. This book made my fourth grade mind think pretty hard about some of the concepts, but I loved that about it. It quickly became one of my favorite books.
 
Alice's Adventures in Wonderland & Through the Looking-Glass
5. Alice in Wonderland
I had to read this one because my school put on a play of Alice in Wonderland. I was playing Alice and so I was supposed to read the book to get a feel for the full story outside of just the script.
 
 
The Giver (The Giver Quartet, #1)6. The Giver
This was required reading in sixth grade and it was my first foray into dystopian literature. It made me look up other books like it and jump into the genre. And, for sure, some are better than others, but I will always thank The Giver for introducing me to the genre.
 
To Kill a Mockingbird7. To Kill a Mockingbird
I had to read this in my Sophomore year for English class. This was a beautiful read and I absolutely loved it. It's become one of my favorite classics. (But the most annoying part about having to read this book in English class was when the kids in my class complained about how boring it was and I just wanted to slap their faces...but that's a different story).
 
Julius Caesar8. Julius Caesar
This was required reading in my Sophomore English class as well. We read Romeo and Juliet for Freshman year and I thought it was good. But then I read this and I loved it. Of all the Shakespeare works I have read (including Romeo and Juliet, A Midsummer's Night Dream, and Macbeth), this one is easily my favorite.
 
Poison Study (Study, #1)9. Poison Study
This was just a recommendation, but on steroids. My friend literally pushed the book into my hands and told me to read it right then and there. So I obliged. And I loved it! It still stands as one of my favorite fantasy books to this day.
 
 
The Hiding Place10. The Hiding Place
This was required reading in eighth grade. I think it was my first book about World War II (Not including Molly: The American Girl books). It was heartbreaking and inspirational at the same time. It had me in tears at points (particularly the forgiveness scene. That scene still pops into my head quite often).

5 comments:

  1. Haha I've been hearing about Poison Study from many people as well. Finally I had to try it myself, out of pure curiosity and it is one of my favs as well! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have Eleanor and Park in my TBR list, I have heard a lot of good things about it, cant wait to get to it. Great choices.
    Here is My Top Ten Tuesday
    Xoxo. Daisel @ Owl Always Be Reading

    ReplyDelete
  3. Phantom Tollbooth was one of my favorites from middle school, and is also my husband's favorite book. I love that you did audio for it in your class. Ours was in a textbook and we learned vocab words from it. Also Eleanor & Park = good life choices. Great book. I love Rainbow's writing. Have you read Attachments?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know what you mean about the "hype" making you do it. Sometimes I feel like everyone is forcing me to read something that's popular without actually asking me to do it lol Great list!

    http://spicedlatte.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved Eragon and The Giver and who doesn't adore Harry Potter, all time favourite series. I am really happy your mum made you read that one so that you didn't miss out! My TTT

    ReplyDelete