Thursday, June 13, 2013

The Selection.

The Selection
by: Kiera Cass
The Selection (The Selection, #1)
For thirty-five girls, the Selection is the chance of a lifetime. The opportunity to escape the life laid out for them since birth. To be swept up in a world of glittering gowns and priceless jewels. To live in a palace and compete for the heart of gorgeous Prince Maxon.
 
This was a light and enjoyable read. In this book (as opposed to in The Elite) I found America less annoying and the story a bit more compelling (if only because I think more happened).
 
This book was a solid start to the series and gave off a really fun and vibrant tone. I loved Maxon from the second he opened his mouth to America in the garden. He's funny and sweet and kind of dorky, but in a princely way (if that's, you know, a thing that can happen).
 
The actual writing of this book isn't anything particularly fantastic, but it's isn't too noticeably bad either. It fits this series as a whole though.
 
The competition aspect was pretty interesting, but I would have liked if we got to know some of the other girls a bit more. I think it would have made it feel more evenly distributed in the characterization field.
 
Quotes:
 
“. . .true love is usually the most inconvenient kind.”  
 
"Something about the tentativeness of it made me feel beautiful. Without a word, I could understand how excited he was to have this moment, but then afraid at the same time. And deeper than any of that, I sensed that he adored me. So this is what it felt like to be a lady.”  
 
“Is this a good time to pat your shoulder?”

No comments:

Post a Comment