Monday, March 18, 2013

The Demigod Diaries

The Demigod Diaries
by: Rick Riordan
The Demigod Diaries
What dangers do runaway demigods Luke and Thalia face on their way to Camp Half-Blood? Are Percy and Annabeth up to the task of rescuing stolen goods from a fire-breathing giant who doesn't take kindly to intruders? How exactly are Leo, Piper, and Jason supposed to find a runaway table, dodge a band of party-loving Maenads (who just might be a little psychotic), and stave off a massive explosion...all in one hour or less?

This was a great collection of stories about the world of Percy Jackson. And I'm going to go through this book story by story.

The Diary of Luke Castellan
This story was the most heartbreaking of the four. As if I wasn't already sad enough about Luke's entire life, I had to go and read this. And of course, I had to love it. But more seriously, I loved learning more about Luke and Thalila's life on the road, when they were fighting monsters and barely staying alive. It was really cool learning where Annabeth's dagger really came from. This story also gave insight to Luke's feelings toward Thalia and Annabeth.

Percy Jackson and the Staff of Hermes
Adoooorable. We finally get to see Percy and Annabeth on a for real date. Well, a battle and then a date afterwards. And can I just say that Percy is the adorable boyfriend that we all knew he would be? Because he definitely is. I mean, he took her to PARIS for their one MONTH anniversary, imagine what he's going to do for their one year anniversary or every anniversary after that! Also they fought a giant in the New York Sewer system. so that was cool.

Leo Valdez and the Quest for Buford
oh Leo Valdez, how I love you. This story had every bit of Leo's awesomeness. And it told a bit more about the origins of Buford the mechanized table. It also gave a bit more information about what Leo, Piper, and Jason were doing at Camp Half-Blood between The Lost Hero and The Son of Neptune. This was probably my least favorite of the stories, but it was still pretty entertaining. Although, the absolute highlight of this entire book had to be the mention of Leo freaking Valdez singing the THE PSYCH THEME SONG. Yes, yes, I know, my mind was blown too! My life is officially made.

Son of Magic
This story had a different tone from the others, because it was written by Rick Riordan's son, Haley. But I really liked it, it was well-written and it added interesting new information to the world that Rick Riordan built up in the Percy Jackson books. And better than that, the information totally made sense with everything else that we know about both monsters and the Mist. Hecate became a more real character.

Overall I really liked this addition to the Percy Jackson series.

Quotes:

"Whatever nightmares were in my future, I had to survive today first."

"In fact, I'd never been happier. If she saw a future for us--if she was still planning to be with me next month, then that was good enough for me."


No comments:

Post a Comment