Monday, April 22, 2013

The Prince.

The Prince
by: Kiera Cass
The Prince (The Selection, #0.5)
Considering that this is a prequel novella, I'm going to just write a couple paragraphs about what I thought of this. I decided to read this in preparation for The Elite coming out tomorrow, and goodness, am I glad I did! I forgot how much I love Maxon as a character and as a person. He is such a sweetheart and kind of awkward, but always in a sort-of-charming way. I wouldn't mind if this entire series had been written completely from Maxon's point of view. He's very easy to read and relate to. I also loved being in his head and realizing that he is genuinely intelligent and witty. One tiny problem that I had with Maxon when I first met him in The Selection was how uptight and formal he sounded when he talked. At first it felt a bit forced, but in this book you learn that he doesn't talk that way in his mind, he has just been educated to speak like the soon-to-be-king of a country, which makes perfect sense.
I hope that his relationship with his parents is showcased more in The Elite, because that was one of the most fascinating things about his perspective. We don't see it from America, but his dad was pretty hard on him and his mom is an absolute darling. That creates a lot of tension and anxiety in him that he has to learn to deal with. I loved that we saw Maxon both vulnerable and insecure, but we also saw him honest and true.
I'm also glad that Kiera Cass didn't decide to make it "love at first sight" for Maxon. Even after meeting America he had some moments with a few of the other girls as well, such as Kriss or Celeste. Sure, he felt something toward America, but he didn't see her and go, "oh, it has to be her." That would have felt more like insta-love than I am comfortable with in a book. That is what made it seem more believable. Even so, America responded to all of Maxon's fears in a really unique way. That is showcased when Maxon says concerning her,
 
"this girl was the antithesis of everything I'd been expecting."
 
He was intrigued because she was different and honest, the very reasons America first thought she would be thrown out.
 
I'm not kidding though, can the rest of the books be from Maxon's perspective? Please?
 
Quotes:
 
"Knowledge isn't love"
 
"I hadn't known I was capable of breaking a heart."
 
"These girls were already turning me into a puddle of stupid."
 
"...and I realized she was a walking rebellion."



No comments:

Post a Comment