Saturday, December 15, 2012

The Wild Orchid.

The Wild Orchid
by: Cameron Dokey


Wielding a sword as deftly as an embroidery needle, Mulan is unlike any other girl in China. When the emperor summons a great army, each family must send a male to fight. Tomboyish Mulan is determined to spare her aging father and bring her family honor, so she disguises herself and answers the call. For all of Mulan's courage with a bow and arrow, is she brave enough to share her true identity and feelings with Prince Jian?

I loved Mulan (the disney movie) as a kid, but I forgot how much until I read that book. I now remember why I loved it and now love it again.

Smart and Brave Heroine: CHECK
Mulan has literally virtue that I admire: bravery, strength, I love that she isn't afraid to be different or to be herself. She just wishes she could be herself without disgracing her family or her warrior father. She is so brave and strong. She is one of my favorite Heroines now.

Sweet and Brave Hero: CHECK
Even though he's not the romantic lead, Li Po is so much of a hero! He risks everything he has to win honor for his family and to show his true face. In the end he ends up paying the ultimate price, his life. Now on to Prince Jian, he was fantastic and brave and smart and cute and so much more!

Original Setting and Unique Plot: CHECK
Sure, the basic plot was the same, but I am more than willing to overlook that because of the amount of depth and emotion that Cameron Dokey was able to add to the story. And the characters were all fantastic.

Extraordinary Supporting Characters: CHECK
YES. YES. YES. Li Po, Zao Xing, Min Xian! I loved them all, each and every one. They all portrayed such beautiful emotion and great character.

Plot Twists and Page Turners: CHECK
Not that many plot twists, but can you really expect than from a retelling of an old story already known by most? Not really. As for page turners, the writing is what inspired me to keep reading. It was beautiful and fantastic!

Quotes:

“I had to cease to mourn what could never be and make the most of what was possible. And I would begin doing that by trying to mend the hurts of the past.”

“I have not led an ordinary life, nor a life that would suit everyone. I took great risks, but because I did, I also earned great reward. I found the way to show my true face freely, without fear. Because of this, I found true love.”

"I could not wallow in self-pity, thinking about what might have been. I had to do my duty. It was the only way to stay true to myself.”

"My growing was definitely a series of adventures, followed by bumps, bruises, and many scoldings.”

“All of us show many faces to the world. No one shows her true face all the time. To do that would be dangerous, for what is seen can also be known. And what is known can be outmaneuvered, outguessed. Lifted up, or hunted down.”





No comments:

Post a Comment